What really stood out to me in this article is the comparison between the human and the mechanical. Vertov constantly compares the human eye to cameras. He calls this mechanical being the "Keno Eye". He says that this Keno Eye is more perfect than the human eye, and that while we can only do so much for a person's sight, we can endlessly perfect the artificial eye. This Keno Eye can also record reality in a radically different way than that of the human eye. I think that this comparison is interesting, one that seems very relevant in today's world where technology is surpassing humanity.
Performance, Video, and Trouble in the Home - Kathy O'Dell Response
I think that it is powerful how a performance piece can really have the power to connect with each person that sees it. I enjoyed reading about how most performance pieces have a strong meaning of "identification" behind them and really shines light on how the performer views that specific topic. I also read a few of the other students comments on Kathy O'Dell and would also like to agree about how crazy it is about the accessibility of videos in this day and age. (Snapchat, Instagram, Vimeo, and all the social media sites) When we think of performance art I think most people think about a play, dance, magician, etc., or something that we could just see on TV or a recording of. We also don't think about how back before the 2000's era there was no video camera or access to the internet. I love how when people would do a performance before the camera age, you had to physically be there to witness it instead of just accessing it on the computer. I think that t...
Comments
Post a Comment